Thanks to our leadership in robotic surgical technology, doctors at Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, are highly experienced at minimally invasive robotic prostatectomies using the da Vinci S® Surgical System.
The da Vinci® Surgical System is a state-of-the-art surgical platform with 3D, high-definition vision and miniaturized, wristed surgical instruments designed to help doctors take surgery beyond the limits of the human hand. Though it is often called a "robot," da Vinci® cannot act on its own - surgery is performed entirely by your doctor from start to finish. By overcoming the limitations of traditional open and laparoscopic surgery, da Vinci® is improving the outcomes of prostate surgery for people in South Florida and international patients traveling to Holy Cross Hospital from around the world.
Benefits of robotic prostatectomies include:
- Better cancer control--Studies show that, compared to open surgery, experienced da Vinci® surgeons achieve better cancer control - lower positive margin rates. Positive margin rates are a measure of cancer cells left behind – lower is better.
- Return of erectile function--Studies show patients who are potent prior to surgery experience a faster return of erectile function than patients who have open surgery.
- Return of urinary continence--Recent studies show more patients have full return of urinary continence within 6 months as compared to patients having open surgery.
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less blood loss
- Less need for blood transfusion
- Lower risk of complications
- Lower risk of wound infection
- Fewer days with catheter
- Less pain
- Faster recovery and return to normal activities